Fifty things I learned this summer
Fifty things I learned this summer:
1. Whatever it is, a glass of milk is the appropriate response.
2. It really is more fun to say "Ready, set, WEASEL!"
3. There is nothing quite like listening to music in the middle of the night.
4. Writing in the ancient hours of night and wee hours of morning is a lovely thing.
5. All the people on the Titanic died. (Really. The last living survivor is no longer living.)
6. If everyone had theme music as they do in movies, we wouldn’t need identification.
7. Writing down random words and spontaneously bursting into song really does ease one’s mind.
8. It’s not worth it to argue with people who don’t like one’s favorite things.
9. A crush is an exquisite waste of affections and emotions.
10. Always nickname people from The Lord of the Rings. If possible, make them villains.
11. It is impossible to write "I heart John Piper" in Greek. (The language has no j sound.)
12. To err is human. To Arrr is pirate! (I got that from a T-shirt in a store window.)
13. Babar the Elephant would be scandalized by all my favorite movies.
14. Legolas- and people like him- may be incredibly easy to make fun of, but that doesn’t mean one should.
15. God knows what He’s doing- again!
16. God keeps His promises- again!
17.The Bible is true- again!
18. The Bible and its Author are WONDROUS- again!
19. It’s amazing how often one must remind oneself of the obvious. (See above.)
20. A trollop is a female troll.
21. Never play Boggle or Scrabble with someone who gloats (or questions one’s knowledge of words).
22. When one plays a game with oneself, one must expect, at some point, to lose.
23. Don’t let one’s counselor at summer camp injure herself.
24. Don’t be twenty minutes late, especially after one’s counselor has injured herself.
25. Always bring extra pencils and pens.
26. Don’t keep a light on past midnight.
27. Unpack the suitcase and put it away. Just do it.
28. Sometimes it’s a good thing to realize one has an obsession.
29. It’s better to try to get rid of that obsession (or lessen it).
30. …Unless one’s obsession is Jesus.
31. Books are something someone (I) can live without for about a week.
32. Sometimes it’s okay if we lose our minds. (Kudos to the band Seabird for this lyric!)
33. Even creeps need the Gospel! ~the user Jemiteaser
34. If one is someone’s sole friend for a long time, that person gets jealous when the other finally makes more friends, no matter how unreasonable the original friend knows she is being.
35. Some stories- dare I say it!- do not deserve- to-be-finished! *GASP*
36. Apples to Apple was not meant to be taken seriously.
37. Giggling annoys grownups.
38. If one has more than twenty pictures of a thing, one probably needs to take a break from thinking about it.
39. Not everything one likes needs to be written down… but it’s probably a good idea.
40. Always take a big bag to put on one’s lap. It’s a security thing.
41. Cussing? Jesus says no!
42. If one MUST have dreams about Aragorn rescuing oneself from someone trying to suck out one’s soul, for heaven’s sake don’t repeat them!
43. Writing poems is inexpensive.
44. Always finish science BEFORE the next school year starts.
45. Suggesting one’s family skip a year of school never works.
46. People don’t always judge one for having the midnight munchies. They may, however, be disinclined to acquiesce to one’s request.
47. Ignoring one’s father is highly inadvisable. In fact, it’s extremely illegal.
48. Asking him for a cat will always be met with a laugh.
49. Editing is a friend.
50. If one really want to finish something, don’t ramble- finish it!
Bonus- Favorite autumn things:
sweaters, hoodies, and coats
knitting, yarn, and pattern magazines
going out at night in dress-up clothes (the real reason I "celebrate" Halloween)
apple cider and doughnuts
hot chocolate, steamers, and cookies