Hansel and Gretel in Bible Style, chap. 1
1. And in the reign of Hamad, king of Israel, was Naman son of Benjamin. And he took unto wife, Esther the daughter of Luke.
2. And Esther bore unto Naman a son and a daughter, and they called them Hansel and Gretel.
3. And Esther gave up the ghost in the evening, and Naman lifted up his voice and wept.
4. And he took unto wife, Naomi, daughter of Isaac. And she was a woman of great beauty, yet she did great evil.
5. And she was barren, and hated the children. And did not show unto them any kindness.
6. And when the children had grown to the age of ten, she asked Naman if they might go to chop wood in the woods, and leave the children in the wilderness.
7. And Naman was heavy with wine, and hearkened unto her voice. Yet Hansel and Gretel and heard the words which she spake, and were afraid.
8. And Hansel pondered what he should do, and when Esther and Naman slept, he went out, and picked two pocketfuls of pebbles.
9. And he said unto his sister, "Do not fear, for I shall get us back unto this place."
10. And in the morning, Esther awoke the children, and told them that they were going to go in unto the woods and find sticks.
11. And Hansel feared not, for he knew what he was to do.
12. And Naman wept, for he must keep the promise which he made unto Esther, his wife.